Sunday, April 17, 2011

Shel Silverstein Sunday

I found myself (in the last few days) thinking about how much I loved Shel Silverstein and how he could put things, both silly and otherwise.  I don't know exactly what triggered that thought, and yes, while it's not often, believe it or not, occasionally book related, semi-educated thoughts roll through my noggin.

I went to my bookshelf to grab my favorite "Where The Sidewalk Ends" to thumb through a few poems, only to be completely surprised that while I thought I owned that book, turns out, I don't.  However, I do have it in audio form, read by Shel himself, and that brings a whole new life to the words.  Hmmm...I see a trip to a bookstore in my future.

In the meantime, massive Googling (thank you to amazon.com for listing every poem in the book on the website, that definitely helped!) ensued and while I know there are other poems I love in that book (Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout and Peanut Butter Sandwich comes to mind), for some reason, these ones stick out to me today.  Enjoy!


Spaghetti

Spaghetti, spaghetti, all over the place,
Up to my elbows--up to my face,
Over the carpet and under the chairs,
Into the hammock and wound round the stairs,
Filling the bathtub and covering the desk,
Making the sofa a mad mushy mess.

The party is ruined, I'm terribly worried,
The guests have all left (unless they're all buried).
I told them, "Bring presents." I said, "Throw confetti."
I guess they heard wrong
'Cause they all threw spaghetti!





No Difference

Small as a peanut,
Big as a giant,
We're all the same size
When we turn off the light.
Rich as a sultan,
Poor as a mite,
We're all worth the same
When we turn off the light.
Red, black or orange,
Yellow or white,
We all look the same
When we turn off the light.
So maybe the way
To make everything right
Is for God to reach out
And turn off the light!

1 comment:

Keena said...

Moose LOVES her "sidewalk book"! Love you darlin!