Monday, February 28, 2011

The To-Be-Read-Because-I-Already-Own-Them Shelf

I am a rabid reader.  I love it...I love getting lost in a story, having all those images swirling, twirling in my brain...however, usually when you are reading, you aren't doing anything else.  I'm sorry, have we not met?  It seems I am in a perpetual state of motion.

Thank you to a very good friend, I re-discovered my love of reading a couple years ago.  I've always enjoyed reading, but was inspired to go back to the world of books by her massive collection.  She has 3 bookcases (large ones, not puny ones) that are chock full of books.  She has an entire bookcase (of 3 shelves) that is full of books she's yet to read.  Somehow, in our trips to Borders and Barnes and Noble, there was either always a sale or we had Borders Bucks to spend or a coupon...but now, I too, have a shelf of books that are yet to be read.

I've gone back and forth, considering the option of buying a Kindle.  One more tech gadget, and it would be easier to carry many books with me in one toy.  However, I can't justify the expense of such a fun toy when I can't transfer my already loved, can touch, feel and smell the paper of, books to the e-reader.  My brother has an iPad and I know he loves it, but reading is not Brother's favorite past time.  It's his wife, dog, youth group kids and baseball if you must know.  (and likely in about that order too...)  So, with Kindle being an option only if someone decides to give me one (which, dont' get me wrong, I would love the black one, 3rd generation.  You can see the exact model HERE.)

My list of books to be read:  (not ones I want to get, this is my To-Be-Read-Because-I-Already-Own-Them shelf...) All book links are furnished courtesy of amazon.com.

Retail Hell - by: Freeman Hall:  After working 5 years (total over the course of many more than that) in retail, I have a new found respect for those that work with the uber-demanding, high maintenance, public.

The Diary of a Young Girl - by: Anne Frank:  I've read it before, in high school.  However, after watching Freedom Writers about 10 times, I feel I need to re-read it and appreciate the immense story telling that a 13 year old girl can portray.

Someday My Prince Will Come - by: Jerramy Fine:  One of those books you pick up because hey, the cover is pretty!

The Time Traveller's Wife - by: Audrey Niffenegger:  I admit it, I picked it up because the movie was coming out, but I had heard great things about it long before the movie was being released.

The Icing on the Cupcake - by: Jennifer Ross:  Not only a novel, but cupcake recipes sprinkled throughout, plus this one was a gift from my bro/sister in law...two, two, two gifts in one!!!

How Starbucks Saved My Life - by: Michael Gates Gill:  It was in the bargain book section at Borders...can't resist a book for under $5.  (Cheaper than a drink at the restaurant listed in the title...)

Vision in White - by: Nora Roberts  This is the first in a series, and I have yet to crack the spine.  Another friend has finished the series and said it's a great read.

The Blind Side - by: Michael Lewis  Ties in with the movie...more in depth of the story.

Little Earthquakes - by: Jennifer Weiner  I have loved her other books, and it's a natural progression when I find an author I love...gotta read 'em all!

Secrets of a Shoe Addict - by Beth Harbison (the sequel to the hysterical Shoe Addicts Anonymous)

Chasing Harry Winston - by: Lauren Weisberger  I loved The Devil Wears Prada, and thought since her second book wasn't my fav, I'd give this one another shot...

Inside Inside - by: James Lipton  I LOVE this show...I have admittedly bought the book twice.  Once before a business trip where I promptly left the book in the hotel in Nebraska.  I honestly thought the book would be more about the show, and the many guest stars that have graced its stage.  However, this is Inside Lipton's life.  I've gotten about 1/3 of the way through it, and "Oooo...how pretty is THAT book cover??" tends to take over.  I do plan on trying to finish it soon!

Son of a Witch - by: Gregory Maguire  The sequel to my beloved Wicked.  I have to admit, I'm nervous to read more in this series for a couple reasons.  1) it took me four different attempts to get into the first book but once I got past chapter 4, I was hooked.  2) I don't want to ruin the loveliness that is Wicked.

A Lion Among Men - by: Gregory Maguire  Book Three in Maguire's "Wicked Years" series.  I haven't heard if there is going to be a 4th or more book yet...which bodes well so that I can actually catch up.

Confessions of an Ugly Step-Sister - by: Gregory Maguire I have always loved Cinderella, she's always been my favorite of the "Disney Princesses".  C'mon...her story hinges on SHOES.  What girl doesn't love her and her dashing prince (and the many different versions of the story that Hollywood can't stay away from, Enchanted being my current fav) and the happily ever after?

Home - A Memoir of My Early Years - by: Julie Andrews  C'mon.  Mary Poppins/Maria wrote her memoirs...why WOULDN'T you buy this book???

A Reporter's Life - by: Walter Cronkite  I am a HUGE sucker for biographies/autobiographies.  Who better than the man who watched and reported so much of the world's news to learn all about his story.  I've gotten through about 2/3 of this one, but thought I lost it.  Turns out, the trunk of my car was hiding it from me.

Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows (Book 7 in the Series)  I've already read this entire series, however since the first half of the seventh movie came out, I want to make sure I read the book again before the second movie comes out this summer.  I have managed to download this book to my iPod (holy CRAP that is a lot of space on my iPod!!)

The Wedding Girl - by: Madeleine Wickham  Madeleine Wickham, aka Sophie Kinsella, is also the author of the wildly popular Shopaholic series of books.  My sister has been hooked on her books for a long time, and I started reading the first Shopaholic book many moons ago, but had to give the book back for her to lend to someone else.  The Shopaholic series is also on my list of books I'd like to read.

Other authors I'd love to read/finish their other books: Emily Giffin, Marian Keyes, Jane Green, Meg Cabot, Wade Rouse, and many many more.

Oh, and those books I love and recommend to anyone?  Thus far...Jen Lancaster has that distinction...hands down.

I've discovered with my little habit of knitting, that while I can't read and knit at the same time (trust me, I've tried, with no success...) audiobooks are another option...but then I'm faced with the same dilemma as before...how do I transfer the many books I already have?

What about you?  Are you a book hoarder?  Do you have a Kindle, do you miss the smell/feel of paper?  What's on your to be read list?  Who is an author you can't get enough of their writing?

3 comments:

Maggy said...

That, is a very long list. Sounds amazing. Also, there is a Nook application...so w/ Kurt's Ipad I can use Nook :) awwwesome. (hint* Nook *hint)

Jolene said...

There's also a kindle one I believe...

Karen said...

I like to think you're not rabid, because every now and then I sit by you. But I'm glad to see you are enjoying your books! Books are good things ;)