Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Melting Pot

So I've been working on this blog for a few weeks...there have been multiple things running around in my brain, here are just a few snippets that have leaked out today...

WTF.

That's all I have to say...

For anyone who calls my office, I treat you with the utmost respect, until you become irate with me over something I had no business with or are rude to me. Then, I will remain ever the professional, but will not allow you to walk all over me just because you feel you are entitled.

So I have a patient who has had an appointment with Dr. Hammond for today (8/6) for the last 3 weeks. She called me yesterday to say she has a funeral service she is really wishing to attend but it may conflict with her appointment time, do I have anything later in the day. (Now, this is a perfectly legitimate question, however, just a word to the wise, if it already took me 3 weeks to get you in for the day you have, it's most likely, unless there is some act of GOD, going to be another three weeks to get you in.) As it was, when I made this patient's appointment three weeks ago, she was extremely rude to not only me, but called a couple of days later, DEMANDING information that we cannot give to her regarding the test results that a different doctor's office ordered from my co-worker.

When I informed this patient of the fact that I didn't have another appointment with Dr. Hammond for another 3 weeks, I was promptly given an earful. How dare I, did I not understand that someone close to her had died? Was I so unwilling to help her that I couldn't move something else around? Bite me lady.

Now, as chance would have it, I had a cancellation that day, later in the day about 10 minutes after this oh so pleasant woman called me. I seriously debated being a royal pain and not calling her about it, but decided that no matter what, I should be the bigger person and call her. The woman had the audacity to ask me if I could hold the 230 appt for her in case she couldn't make her 1130 one and yet still leave her in the schedule for the 1130. Who does this??? Tell me, where can you call and book two appointment JUST IN CASE you can't make the first one??? So when I told her I couldn't do that, and talked her through the time line for her appointments, she asked me "so basically you need me to choose right now". Uh yeah biatch, that's the idea. (No, I didn't actually say that, but let me tell you, it was tempting!!!)

So, this patient FINALLY shows up for her appointment at 230pm that afternoon, is pissy with me because I was talking to another patient that was checking out instead of her, when I finished with that patient and turned to help her, I swear I was dead, buried and 6 feet under. (Holy crap, where do people like this come from???) I took her paperwork from her, started processing everything like I should, and she informs me that she needs to use the restroom. I say ok, direct her to our restroom, but before she went would she mind if I took care of scanning her insurance cards while she was gone, and she looks at me, sighs and said "I think me using the restroom is a little more important and pressing than you needing my cards." Gives me the insurance cards and leaves for the restroom on the other end of the floor from our office. When she comes back, I am on the phone with a patient. She sees me on the phone, knws I need to take her co-pay, and literally THROWS her credit card at me to take care of it for her. I politely run it (for the correct amount, I wasn't THAT stupid.) hand her everthing back, and since my doc knew the situation with this patient, I went into her office, waited politely/patiently until she got off the phone/finished dictating (I can't remember which now) and told her to promptly "get that woman out of my waiting room". Thankfully, we will never have to see that patient in our office again.

Another thought....

Today I thought of another thing that will annoy almost any receptionist/secretary/admin assitant/person who answers the phone. Speakerphone. It has it's time and place. It's fine to place your initial call on it and pick up as soon as you hear someone pick up, we all do that. However, it is NOT okay to conduct an entire conversation on it. So, once you hear my friendly voice say "CCVSA this is Jolene"....TAKE ME OFF IT.


So since moving, I have developed a new form of a social life...I actually have an active one. Entirely TOO active! I have managed to book myself solid for almost a month and a half straight. What a rough problem to have right? Bummer, folks want to spend time with me. HOwever, I have discovered the cost of being so overbooked. Sheer exauhstion and money loss. Going out is great and fun, but sadly normally costs more than I remember or am willing to spend, yet I go along with it and don't say anything. Definitely time to reign it it for a while. Thankfully next week, outside of three previously planned engagements, I am keeping myself open, if you want to come hang out for a couple hours at my house, give me a call, see what's going on. Otherwise, I will be stayin' in next week!!!

Talk to y'all later...

No comments: